Calvin S. Brice, a member of the Class of 1863, was one of the first principal benefactors of Miami University. He was born in Denmark, Ohio, on September 15, 1845. A railroad magnate, Brice was instrumental in Miami University obtaining its first appropriation from the Ohio legislature in 1885 for operating expenses and repair of the university buildings. In 1888, he matched a grant from the State of Ohio to construct a new science building on campus. Brice Hall, now replaced by King Library, was the first new building on campus in 55 years.
A Civil War veteran and U.S. Senator (1891-97), Brice was a member of the Miami University Board of Trustees (1881-98) and Miami University Alumni Association Board of Directors.
The Calvin S. Brice Society, named for Brice to acknowledge his lifetime commitment to Miami University, recognizes the generous support provided by alumni and friends through planned gifts. Membership in the Calvin S. Brice Society extends to all individuals who include a provision to support Miami University through a bequest, living trust, charitable gift annuity, charitable remainder trust, pooled income fund account, provision in their retirement plan or IRA, life insurance policy, or a remainder interest in a residence or farm. For more information on the Calvin S. Brice Society, please click here for a free brochure. To become a member of the Calvin Brice Society, click here for a membership form.